Biology Logo 

   Evolutionary Biology
   at San Diego State University

  SDSU Logo 
College of Sciences Logo

PhD Program Home

  Prospective Students
      Program Overview
      Admissions Information
      Application Procedures

  Current Students
      Committee Information
      Curriculum and Exams
      JDP Forms
      Travel Information
      Student Directory

  Contact Information

     SDSU Faculty
   U.C. Riverside Faculty
     Affiliated Faculty

Evolutionary Biology PhD Program

 Travel Information for E. B. PhD Students
Get Excel Viewer

  • 1.  Prior to any travel, please contact SDSU JDPEB Graduate Advisor (currently Dr. Elizabeth Waters ( for approval regarding your travel plans. Students should apply for Graduate Student Travel Funds, which supports travel associated with scholarly research (e.g. meetings)
  • A T-2 form should be filled out BEFORE you go on your trip and left with Medora Bratlien in LSN 135 for processing (see detailed information below). 
  • A Travel Expense Claim should be filled out AFTER you return from your trip.  Everything will need to be broken down by day (hotel and meals).  Please keep all of your receipts and airline boarding passes (see detailed information below). 

If you need assistance preparing the forms or have any questions, please feel free to call Medora Bratlien at (619) 594-7429 or email her at

If ANY travel takes you outside of San Diego County, you MUST complete a travel form (T-2) and submit it to Brenda Godinez in LSN 104 10 days prior to in-State and 25 days prior to out-of-State and foreign travel.  You must complete a T-2 form even if you are not requesting reimbursement, as it provides worker’s comp coverage while you are traveling.  This rule applies to all employees of SDSU. 

This is also the form by which you can request a travel advance.  The requested advance is not to exceed 80% of estimated out of pocket expenses for the traveler.  If you would like an advance, you must also provide documentation of any expenses you have already incurred (conference registration, airline ticket) including a copy of your credit card showing the payments made (please black out all other information, charges on your statement).

The excel form may be obtained from the SDSU web page under Travel Forms

Additional policies regarding travel advances can be found here:

Note: A valid California driver’s license and Defensive Driving Certificate are required of all SDSU employees who will be operating University vehicles, rental cars, or their own vehicle on University business.  Classes for the Defensive Driving Certificate are offered each semester through Parking Services.  If you are driving a personal car for state business, you must also submit an Authorization to Use Privately Owned Vehicles on State Business form found here:

Get PDF Reader

When you return from your trip, you will submit a Travel Expense Claim

While traveling, be sure to keep ALL receipts for expenses you wish to be reimbursed for.  If you are traveling by common carrier (airline, train, busline, etc.) you MUST keep your boarding pass stub for proof of travel.  (If traveling on Southwest, please keep your electronic receipt.)

You should also retain some evidence that you attended the function you are traveling for (name badge, conference program, etc.).  Submit your Travel Expense Claim along with receipts and supporting documentation immediately upon your return to Brenda Godinez in LSN 104 . The form must be accurately completed and thoroughly supported by appropriate documentation in order to assure timely reimbursement.

Please note that the cost of gas is not reimbursable.  Instead, you will be reimbursed for the miles you drove.  If you submitted a reimbursement for a trip made via car, please include a mapquest (or  a similar website’s) printout of your trip that indicates the distance traveled.  On the Travel Expense Claim, you will then calculate the reimbursed amount ($0.625/mile).

Please refer to the complete manual on SDSU travel policies and procedures for more detailed information and to obtain the required forms electronically.